I just free motion quilted a practice block from the Christmas Star wall hanging I posted earlier. I am not very good at free motion quilting, and that is even with the Bernina Stitch regulator. But, I'm trying. It could definitely be better with an embroidered motif,but that would be the machine, not me.
I really liked the method I used, which is Pam Clarke's quilting with lines. I didn't chalk it, but used the lines of the star design. I'm not crazy about the design I came up with, and will modify it for the wallhanging. But all in all,it was fun and easy.
This block is made of busy prints, and I knew the quilting wouldn't show up very well in most places. This gave me a good opportunity to really practice freehanding it. I used a high contract thead on the back, so I could see it well... but this will be made into a pillow where no one else will see it. For the wallhanging, I will use a matching thread on the back.
![]() |
| Feemotion quilted--hard to see because of prints |
![]() | |
| Close up of free motion quilting |
![]() |
| The back--easier to see--and notice areas for improvement |
Also, I got the border on my scrappy strippy quilt. I barely had enough.
Now to find a fabric for back. Won't be a problem. I wonder if the lady I quilt at will be open after christmas?




I am impressed. I like your vision of the design. I am still pretty much just seeing all over designs in my head. Hopefully I will grow from there.
ReplyDelete