Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Catching up on quilting projects

My daughter Amy is inspiring me to get back to quilting. I've been unable to do much for some time, for various reasons that I won't go into.  I've kept up with quilting with applique, but piecing has fallen by the wayside. So, I am trying to finish a few projects that have been in limbo.

 I have finished all of the Christmas shopping, almost all of the mailing, except to mom & Susan. So, I'm having some fun.

The first project I'm trying to complete started out with learning to paper piece stars from one of Carol Doak's paper piecing books.  It was quite a few years ago. I was just learning, and you can see that I pieced it with white thread, that clearly shows up, in spite of trying to color the thread with a marker.  Also, some of the center points are not matched well.

I originally put these stars together to make a table runner. And then it just sat, sat  & sat.  I finally realized I am not a table runner person.  I took them apart, and laid them out as a wall hanging.  Fortunately I was able to find the berry fabric and had enough to use for setting triangles. I was going to use a green, but then I didn't like the way it looked. When I laid it out,   I managed to put the worst pieced star right in the center.  But, what the heck?  I like it, and am going to pin it tonight so I can quilt it tomorrow. Maybe have it up by Christmas.
Not the best star, but I can live with it.
I think I've improved in fabric selection since then.

I think it will be nice, and I'll bind it in green. I will try to quilt it in gold metallic.  That may be crazy.

The next project is a scrap quilt.  I made quite a few blocks several years ago, taking them with me when we had to stay in Houston for weeks at a time.  I put the blocks together, then it just sat.  I measured it last week, and decided that it was one row too long, and one row not wide enough. I took off the bottom row, and added it to the side. Fortunately I had 4 extra blocks that I needed for that other row.  So, I've cut the border out of the same dotty fabric that I used as a center strip on all of the blocks.  I'll try to pin one side of the borders tonight.
Dotty border

Scrappy quilt--I used the dotty fabric as a constant center stripe on each block. then randomly used strips of fabric. I pieced it on paper I cut into 6 1/2 squares.  Next time I will piece it on muslin and leave it in.

I do love bright colors. Isn't it fun?

1 comment:

  1. I like it. I think I will be doing something similar soon. I hope so at least. Yay mother/daughter quilting!!

    ReplyDelete